Friday, April 30, 2010

Bailey's Eye Appointment

Bailey's eye appointment did not go as I was hoping. From what the Dr and I could tell she does not appear to see at all from one eye. The other eye seems to be minimal also. He asked me about head bleeds and any abnormalities of the brain. All her head ultrasound in the NICU were normal. Her retina and eye structure did not seem to be abnormal. He seemed puzzled by her lack of sight and said he wondered if there was a problem somewhere from the brain to the eye. She will have a VER/ERG at the end of May. This will show how the retina responses to light stimulus. In August she will have an MRI of the brain. Due to her prematurity she is unable to have the MRI before June. I think not having it done till August is very excessive. She is on a cancellation list. I really wish I had asked for them to try to find another location to do the test. I am sure that another large city does MRIs on infants.
It was a very trying and stressful day. We waited for 2 hours in the waiting room before they ever called us to put the drops in and then we had to wait again. We spent 3 hours in the office and less than 15 minutes of that was spent with staff and the rest was wait time. Ridiculous!!!! After all of this we were all exhausted. Wyatt call attest to that....

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I just can't even imagine being in a doctor's waiting room THAT long with two little babies. Oi vey!!! I hope you are able to have the tests done sooner than August and hope that the problem is treatable. (((hugs)))